Listen to a new episode of Speak English Now Podcast, your favorite material for practicing your spoken and heard English. You will also learn about lifestyle and culture, language, vocabulary, and how to improve your English more effectively.
Hi, everybody! I am Georgiana, your English teacher and founder of SpeakEnglishPodcast.com. My mission is to help you speak English fluently.
Today I’m going to talk about towns, where no one lives anymore for one reason or another.
With a mini-story, we will meet John, a man who, tired of his lifestyle, makes a radical decision.
Very good. Thank you for listening once again. We have reached 22 million downloads of this podcast; thank you very much for following me! If you want to help me, please share and recommend my website SpeakEnglishPodcast.com by mentioning my podcast. Thank you very much in advance.
Okay, let’s get to today’s topic.
In every country in the world, there are villages where no one lives.
I find this phenomenon fascinating.
There are several words you can use to describe such a town. They all mean the same thing:
- Abandoned: This means that those who lived in that area have left. Therefore, people abandoned the place at some point in the past.
- Uninhabited: This word implies that it was previously inhabited. The inhabitants inhabit a place. If those people leave and don’t live there anymore, it becomes uninhabited.
- Ghost. A ghost town is simply a town without inhabitants, without anyone living there. This word sometimes gives a sinister air to the place. All kinds of legends can arise in certain abandoned places. Some people’s imaginations can be very vivid.
- –Deserted merely means that there is no one there. For example: “The village was deserted, there was absolutely no one.”
Now, let’s use a little imagination. Imagine that you decide to move to a deserted town. Moving means going to live permanently in a new place. So, you would be the only inhabitant. You could put a sign with the name of the village and the number of inhabitants: one.
(END OF THE EXTRACT).
Get the FULL TEXT in PDF here.
- Audio mp3 (right-click to save the audio)
- FULL-TEXT PDF (right-click to save the TEXT)
Can you understand a conversation in English but still can’t speak? With the Fluency course, you will speak English automatically.