Listen to a new episode of Speak English Now Podcast, your favorite material for practicing your spoken and heard English. You will also learn about lifestyle and culture, language, vocabulary, and how to improve your English more effectively.
Hi, everybody! I am Georgiana, your English teacher and founder of SpeakEnglishPodcast.com. My mission is to help you speak English fluently.
This week we are going to continue talking about the different types of doctors in English. And with a fun mini-story, you will effectively improve your English fluency.
Before we get started, make sure you get the transcript on my website SpeakEnglishPodcast.com/podcast
Ok, let’s start!
Last week we started talking about the different types of doctors in English. We saw that a general practitioner or family doctor treats common health problems.
We also learned that an optometrist is an eye doctor and that a dentist treats teeth and gums’ problems.
Now let’s continue learning the different types of doctors in English.
1) When we have skin, hair, or nail-related problems, we visit a dermatologist. If you have nasty red rashes on your body, quickly make an appointment with a dermatologist. So a dermatologist is a doctor who treats problems related to skin, nails, and hair.
Nowadays, more and more people choose to see a dermatologist whenever they have a skin condition such as acne, sensitive skin, a rash, etc.
It is always better to trust a specialist and not to experiment on our skin.
2) If you have children, you should take them to a pediatrician. A pediatrician’s office is always very colorful and a very child-friendly environment. Therefore, pediatricians are physicians who take care of infants, toddlers, children, and teenagers.
3) What if you have a broken heart? Do you make an appointment to see a cardiologist? Unfortunately, a cardiologist can’t fix your broken heart. But they will cure any cardiovascular disease. A cardiologist is a heart doctor.
4) And if you have an accident, you must see an orthopedic surgeon. An orthopedic surgeon deals with the skeletal system. Any broken leg or broken bone or anything that’s wrong with your skeletal system, an orthopedic surgeon is going to fix it for you.
As people get older, they have many problems in their knees or their hands or even arthritis. So all of these things are taken care of by an orthopedic surgeon.
5) If you are a woman, you need to see a doctor who focuses on the female reproductive organs from time to time. We call this type of doctor a gynecologist.
There is also the obstetrician who works in a particular area of gynecology that focuses on childbirth.
6) What if you are a man? Do you also go to see a gynecologist?
No. No. Only women go to a gynecologist.
Men should see a urologist. A urologist is a doctor who deals with urinary tract infections or urinary problems. A urologist deals with the male reproductive system or male reproductive organs.
So if you have any problems with the urinary tract or the male reproductive system, you see a urologist.
7) There is another type of doctor called a neurologist. A neurologist is
a doctor who studies and treats diseases of the nerves.
While the doctor who performs surgery on the human brain is called a neurosurgeon.
So a neurologist is a doctor who deals with any nerve-related problem. But if you have brain surgery, you go to a neurosurgeon.
Well, these are the types of doctors or physicians we have here. There are a large number of doctors, so I’ve picked the most common ones.
(END OF THE EXTRACT).
Get the FULL TEXT in PDF here.